Paris Sprint location
Alexandre Gramfort
2013-07-10 09:12:46 UTC
hi everyone,

our next sprint will take place at Telecom ParisTech
(http://www.telecom-paristech.fr) located at:

46 Rue Barrault, 75013 Paris, France

Google Maps link : http://goo.gl/maps/k6QPL

We'll be in room B312 everyday starting at 9am.

See wiki page:

https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/wiki/Upcoming-events#location

Please don't hesitate to edit the page, add your name if you will attend and
put your name next to the topic(s) you would like to work on.
If you plan to sprint on IRC feel free to add a section to the wiki page.

Best,
Alex
Mathieu Blondel
2013-07-11 14:23:57 UTC
What is everyone planning to work on? Just curious :)

Mathieu

Nelle Varoquaux
2013-07-11 14:28:13 UTC
Post by Mathieu Blondel
What is everyone planning to work on? Just curious :)
I'd like to implement the kernelCCA, but before doing that, I might
have to refactor the PLS module, which is starting to be a bit
crowded.
I also plan on fixing some of the issues of the MDS (use an SVD when possible).

Will you be joining us online ?

2013-07-11 14:29:10 UTC
Post by Mathieu Blondel
What is everyone planning to work on? Just curious :)
For me:

* Merging stuff,
* L2-logistic with integrated cross-validation (I have a prototype that
is _fast_), pair programming with Jaques Grobler
* Fast hierarchical clustering beyond Ward (I also have advanced
prototypes).

2013-07-11 15:11:45 UTC
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
Post by Gael Varoquaux
* L2-logistic with integrated cross-validation (I have a prototype that
is _fast_), pair programming with Jaques Grobler
Sounds interesting. What's the general approach? scipy.optimize based
solver + warm start?

2013-07-11 16:28:11 UTC
* L2-logistic with integrated cross-validation (I have a prototype that
  is _fast_), pair programming with Jaques Grobler
Sounds interesting. What's the general approach? scipy.optimize based solver +
warm start?
Absolutely. However, to get optimal performance, I had to modify the
Newton method of scipy.optimize. All this is in the following branch:

https://github.com/GaelVaroquaux/scikit-learn/tree/logistic_cv

Things are "almost ready"... :$

2013-07-11 16:46:13 UTC
* L2-logistic with integrated cross-validation (I have a prototype that
is _fast_), pair programming with Jaques Grobler
Sounds interesting. What's the general approach? scipy.optimize based solver +
warm start?
Absolutely. However, to get optimal performance, I had to modify the
https://github.com/GaelVaroquaux/scikit-learn/tree/logistic_cv
Things are "almost ready"... :$
You can get to the compare view by clicking on the "compare" link
without issuing a pull request:

https://github.com/GaelVaroquaux/scikit-learn/compare/logistic_cv

But I think you should issue a WIP PR early now that you have publicly
mentioned this branch :)

2013-07-11 16:50:38 UTC
https://github.com/GaelVaroquaux/scikit-learn/compare/logistic_cv
But I think you should issue a WIP PR early now that you have publicly
mentioned this branch :)
Are you sure? We are drowning under PRs.

Vlad Niculae
2013-07-11 14:32:00 UTC
Hi Mathieu,

Will you be joining online? People have been asking this on IRC ;)

Personally I want to take care of unfinished business like the omp CV,
the RBM pull request, GSOC PRs, and I was thinking of trying to tackle
Averaged SGD; apart from this I'll be side-sprinting on pystruct.

Cheers,
Vlad
Jaques Grobler
2013-07-11 15:08:27 UTC
Post by Vlad Niculae
Will you be joining online? People have been asking this on IRC ;)
I will try to but that will mostly depend on my motivation to do
programming after a day of work :)
I will try to fix long-standing ridge related issues such as fit_intercept
support in the sparse case and sample_weight support in all solvers.

Mathieu
Lars Buitinck
2013-07-11 14:51:04 UTC
Post by Mathieu Blondel
What is everyone planning to work on? Just curious :)
Py3 was my aim, but that seems to be almost tackled, so I guess I'll
concentrate on getting my proposed scorer API in master.
I might want to try my hand at implementing quadratic features in FeatureHasher.
--
Lars Buitinck
Scientific programmer, ILPS
University of Amsterdam
Peter Prettenhofer
Peter Prettenhofer
Olivier Grisel
2013-07-11 15:10:24 UTC
Initial goal was Py3 but apparently it might get working before the sprint \o/.

So I will sprint on other stuff instead, but using Python 3 :)

Stuff that I am interested in:

- maybe work (discuss design and review impl) with @larsmans on
quadratic feature hashing
- discuss the with the tree growers guys on how to best parallelize
random forest trainings on multi-core without copying the training set
in memory
- either with threads in joblib and "with nogil" statements in the
inner loops of the (new) cython code
- either with shared memory and the (in)famous PR #44 of joblib

Otherwise review and merge existing PRs or new PRs from other sprinters.

Gilles Louppe
2013-07-12 10:01:59 UTC
- discuss the with the tree growers guys on how to best parallelize
random forest trainings on multi-core without copying the training set
in memory
- either with threads in joblib and "with nogil" statements in the
inner loops of the (new) cython code
- either with shared memory and the (in)famous PR #44 of joblib
Indeed, I would love to see this properly fixed in one way or another.

Otherwise, on my part, I plan to complete PR #2131 if it is not yet
merged in by the time of the sprint, and then address tree-related
issues/PRs that have been lying around for months now. Also, if
someone has a special request for the ensemble/tree modules, now is
the time to ask :)

Besides that, I plan to dedicate a good deal of my time in
fixing/closing random issues or reviewing pending PRs. The list has
grown so much lately, we need to cut that!

And of course I'll help Nicolas on his GSoC.
Mathieu Blondel
2013-07-12 10:24:36 UTC
Post by Gilles Louppe
Otherwise, on my part, I plan to complete PR #2131 if it is not yet
merged in by the time of the sprint, and then address tree-related
issues/PRs that have been lying around for months now. Also, if
someone has a special request for the ensemble/tree modules, now is
the time to ask :)
A bagging meta-estimator would be nice :)

Mathieu
Andreas Mueller
2013-07-11 16:57:04 UTC
Post by Lars Buitinck
Post by Mathieu Blondel
What is everyone planning to work on? Just curious :)
Py3 was my aim, but that seems to be almost tackled, so I guess I'll
concentrate on getting my proposed scorer API in master.
I might want to try my hand at implementing quadratic features in FeatureHasher.
I would also like to get that ready / in, together with the model
selection PRs by Joel.
I'd also like to raise the website navigation issue again and maybe get
to a consensus there.

I have totally lost track of most things currently (I have 2.5 month
left for my phd now).
There is a tree enhancement by Gilles that seems like it would have a
huge impact.

And as Vlad seems eager to work on pystruct, there will be some of that,
too ;)
Denis A. Engemann
2013-07-11 15:18:25 UTC
Hi, I'd like to improve ICA as discussed in #2113.
Also I'd like to inquire memory behavior of the decomposition classes to better support their combined application on bog data sets with more than 100k samples.
Also I'd like to take a look at API inconsistencies between those classes, e.g with regard to covariance matrix attributes VS methods, etc.