Application for the scikit-learn project
2011-10-10 18:42:52 UTC

We, the scikit-learn project, would like to apply to be a member
project of the Software Freedom Conservancy.

scikit-learn is a very active Open Source library for machine learning
in Python / Numpy / Scipy published under the BSD license.

The source code is hosted on github:
http://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn with many people
submitting pull requests every week.

The documentation is published online (as the main website):
http://scikit-learn.sourceforge.net (the source files for the
documentation are part of the main source repository on github too).

We do releases every 3-4 months months with more than 20 developers
contributing to each release. scikit-learn is packaged into various
open source distributions (e.g. Debian and Ubuntu) and scientific
python distributions such as Python(X, Y) and Enthought Python
Distribution.

We organize development sprints on a regular basis. Some of these
sprint are supported by companies who donate to support the travel
expenses of the developers who are based in various countries all
around the world (mostly from Europe, North and South America and
Asia). We would to be part of the conservancy mostly to simplify the
management of such donations and expenses.

Regards,
2012-04-24 14:36:05 UTC
Hello,

The deadline is in 6 days... Olivier, do you have time to prepare the
application?

Mathieu
I'm sorry for the late reply to your inquiry about scikit-learn joining
the Conservancy. Conservancy had been unable for some time to take on
new projects due to capacity constraints. However, we're now moving
forward with taking new projects.
Please find application materials below for scikit-learn.
Conservancy is now having meetings of our Evaluation Committee monthly.
While I cannot guarantee your project will be evaluated in a specific
month (the meeting lasts one hour and we push through as many
application as we can), getting your application in by the end of the
month means that at least your project will be on the agenda for the
following month's meeting. You project will of course stay on the
agenda until the Evaluation Committee gets to it. Please note that our
queue is still quite long, and we cannot guarantee when we'll get back
to you, but we do expect to empty the queue by the end of 2012.
The Software Freedom Conservancy encourages your project to apply for
Conservancy. Please be advised that applying doesn't guarantee your
project can join Conservancy; it's simply the first step in the process
of joining Conservancy.
The deadline for applications is 2012-04-30 at 23:59 UTC. Applications
that arrive after that time will definitely not be considered until
2012-06-15 or possibly later!
Note, however, that Conservancy does have a long queue for project
applications, so meeting the application deadline does not assure any
specific date of evaluation of your project.
To apply to the Conservancy, please answer fully all the questions below,
in a *single* text-only (i.e., not HTML) email to
making sure to answer the questions fully.
If the relevant information is already gathered and publicly available,
It's ok to include URLs as answers. However, if a given URL has lots of
information on it, please make sure that you direct us specifically to
the portions of the web page loaded by the given URL that are relevant in
answering the question.
*** Why does your project want to join Conservancy? Specifically, what
benefits do you expect to take advantage of immediately and within a
few years?
*** Please give a detailed description of the project.
*** What FLOSS License(s) does your project use? Please include the
primary license, and list other licenses for code that is included.
(e.g., "The project as a whole is GPLv3-or-later, but about a dozen
files in the directory src/external/ are under the Apache-2.0
license")
*** Please give us your roadmap and plans for future development of the
project, including both code and community plans.
*** Please give us the main link to the projects primary website.
*** Please give us a URL to a code repository we can clone and/or
checkout.
*** Have you ever had funds held by the project, or by any individual on
behalf of the project? How and for what did you spend those funds?
Are there funds remaining? If so, who is holding them now?
*** Do you have any ongoing fundraising programs for your project? How do
they operate, and how much funding is brought in through these
mechanisms currently?
*** Does your project owe funds to anyone?
*** Has your project ever had legal trouble, been involved in legal
proceedings or received a letter accusing your project of patent,
copyright, trademark or other types of infringement?
*** Please give a brief history of the project, focusing on how the
community developed and the general health of the community. Be sure
to include information on any forks or other disputes that have
occurred in the community.
*** Please explain how your project is governed. Who makes the decisions
in the project? How do you resolve disputes, particularly about
non-code issues?
*** If your project runs on Linux-based systems, please list all the
distributions that include your project, and what "repository area"
the package appears in. If you aren't packaged for any major
distributions, please tell us why you believe your project hasn't been
packaged yet.
*** Does your project have any existing for-profit or non-profit
affiliations, funding relationships, or other agreements between the
project and/or key leaders of your project and other organizations?
Has the project had such affiliations in the past? Please list of all
of them in detail and explain their nature. Even tangential
affiliations and relationships, or potential affiliations that you
plan to create should be included.
*** Approximately how many users does your project have, and what items
lead you to believe your userbase is of a particular size (e.g., post
counts to your user mailing list)?
*** Please list the names, email addresses, and affiliations (e.g.,
employer) of key developers and major contributors. Include both
current and past contributors and developers. Please include date
ranges of when those developers/contributors were active.
Please make this list as extensive and complete as possible. You need
not include every last person who sent one patch, but please include
at least those who regularly sent patches or were/are regular
contributors. If you project has contributors who have been inactive
for more than five years, you need only to list such inactive
contributors if they made substantial contributions.
*** Please include any other pertinent information not given above that
you feel we should review with your application.
Please note that your answers will be shared with Conservancy's Board of
Directors, its Evaluation Committee (the membership of which will be
published soon on Conservancy's website), and with some of Conservancy's
existing member projects leaders. We like to get as much input as
possible from Conservancy's existing project base when evaluating new
projects for membership.
Please submit the application in pure ASCII format, with paragraph fills
and line breaks designed for 80 column viewing. You don't need to
impress us with formatting; what will actually impress us is if you make
the information presented in a simple and clear way that is easily read
and understood when edited with GNU Emacs and emailed around internally
at Conservancy via standard email forwarding tools.
Before completing your application, please be sure to read our
application FAQ at: http://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/
Feel free to include any additional information you'd like us to review
in considering an application, but please try to be brief as possible.
Please note that we will ask that applying projects consider donating a
percentage of their funding to the general operating costs of the
Conservancy. This is a way to assure we can continue providing a high
level of service to all Conservancy projects. This is, however,
voluntary and negotiable, and we can discuss it in detail if your
project is accepted.
Our application deadlines are *hard* deadlines; if you miss it by just one
day, you'll have to wait until at least 2012-06-15. Please be advised
that you may get follow-up clarification questions on your application.
Please be prepared to respond to these inquiries quickly to assure
timely processing of your application.
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy
2012-04-25 02:50:33 UTC
Post by Mathieu Blondel
Hello,
The deadline is in 6 days... Olivier, do you have time to prepare the
application?
I am currently on a mission by a customer in South California and I am
pretty much exhausted at the end of the workday (+ jetlag...) so I
would not mind if someone else would volunteer to do the application.
I will be travel back home during the WE but don't expect me to do
anything useful during that WE either...
2012-04-25 03:20:35 UTC
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Olivier Grisel
Post by Olivier Grisel
I am currently on a mission by a customer in South California and I am
pretty much exhausted at the end of the workday (+ jetlag...) so I
would not mind if someone else would volunteer to do the application.
I will be travel back home during the WE but don't expect me to do
anything useful during that WE either...
Sure, no problem, Olivier. Any volunteer? Or maybe we can prepare the
application collaboratively in this thread.

2012-04-25 05:43:23 UTC
Post by Mathieu Blondel
Sure, no problem, Olivier. Any volunteer? Or maybe we can prepare the
application collaboratively in this thread.
Let's try and do it collaboratively. I am off for a few days in the
mountains Friday evening, so it means that we need to get it rolling :).
Unfortunately, I am deep down in administrative stuff for an actual
grant, so I'll be a bit busy. But it isn't a lot of work, so we should be
able to do it in time.

I have created a 'administrative' repo in the scikit organization, and a
software_freedom_conservancy/application.txt file, that can hold the
content.

I'll start filling it up hopefully this afternoon Paris time.

Nelle Varoquaux
2012-04-25 07:58:53 UTC
Let's try and do it collaboratively. I am off for a few days in the
mountains Friday evening, so it means that we need to get it rolling :).
Unfortunately, I am deep down in administrative stuff for an actual
grant, so I'll be a bit busy. But it isn't a lot of work, so we should be
able to do it in time.
I have created a 'administrative' repo in the scikit organization, and a
software_freedom_conservancy/application.txt file, that can hold the
content.
I'll start filling it up hopefully this afternoon Paris time.
I can help with the things I know. I'll work on it ASAP.
Satrajit Ghosh
2012-04-25 13:01:01 UTC
hi all,

i've created a hackpad link:

https://hackpad.com/dsPTA6XYF2e

i thought it might be a good way to answer the questions. if you think
otherwise, i'll simply delete the pad.

cheers,

satra

Nelle Varoquaux
2012-04-25 13:07:07 UTC
Post by Satrajit Ghosh
https://hackpad.com/dsPTA6XYF2e
i thought it might be a good way to answer the questions. if you think
otherwise, i'll simply delete the pad.
I think it is a good idea, but we need to make sure everything is
synchronized. I've created a pull request on the repository
Gaël mentioned this morning. Do you mind updating the pad with the answers
from the PR ?

Thanks,
2012-04-25 13:11:53 UTC
Post by Nelle Varoquaux
I think it is a good idea, but we need to make sure everything is
synchronized. I've created a pull request on the repository
Darn, I didn't see it (didn't get any mail). I just merged it.

Do you not have commit rights on this repo? Everybody should feel free to
commit directly into it.

Gael
Nelle Varoquaux
2012-04-25 13:18:48 UTC
Post by Nelle Varoquaux
I think it is a good idea, but we need to make sure everything is
synchronized. I've created a pull request on the repository
Darn, I didn't see it (didn't get any mail). I just merged it.
Do you not have commit rights on this repo? Everybody should feel free to
commit directly into it.
I don't have commit rights on this repository.

One thing that would be very useful is for major contributors to fill in
directly the information about themselves:
The names, email addresses, affiliations and, period of contribution are
required. I've ordered developers alphabetical ly, and I did my best to
fill in additional information, but it is time consuming to google everyone
I don't know. I've probably also forgot contributors.

Thanks,
Gael
2012-04-25 13:22:32 UTC
Post by Nelle Varoquaux
I don't have commit rights on this repository.
Neither Satra nor you were in the right team. I changed this, and you
should now have access to all the repos of scikit-learn.

2012-04-25 16:53:37 UTC
I'll be working on this in the train home, in the next hour (mentionning
so that nobody works in parallel and duplicates my work).

2012-04-25 19:37:46 UTC

I made some progress on the application to the conservancy. I tried to
fill up quickly all the question. We can improve as we go, and I'll keep
doing this.

I would need some help with one specific aspect of the application: we
are asked to give a fairly extensive list of contributors, with the dates
at which they contributed, and their affiliation. Nelle and I used git
shortlog to establish this list, and complete the information with our
own knowledge, but it's fairly incomplete, in particular in the dates and
affiliation.

Could people simply complete the line corresponding to their name, either
by pushing on github (or editing via the webpage, that enables one-click
edition of the file), or sending me the information.

2012-04-28 15:29:40 UTC
I made some progress on the application to the conservancy. I tried to
fill up quickly all the question. We can improve as we go, and I'll keep
doing this.
I would need some help with one specific aspect of the application: we
are asked to give a fairly extensive list of contributors, with the dates
at which they contributed, and their affiliation. Nelle and I used git
shortlog to establish this list, and complete the information with our
own knowledge, but it's fairly incomplete, in particular in the dates and
affiliation.
Could people simply complete the line corresponding to their name, either
by pushing on github (or editing via the webpage, that enables one-click
edition of the file), or sending me the information.
Cheers,
The link is here:

https://github.com/scikit-learn/administrative/blob/master/software_freedom_conservancy/application.txt
Nelle Varoquaux
2012-04-30 07:16:44 UTC
https://github.com/scikit-learn/administrative/blob/master/software_freedom_conservancy/application.txt
Quick reminder: the deadline is today at at 23:59 UTC.

Also, Gaël will not be there to submit the proposal. Who will be doing it ?
Olivier ? Mathieu ?

Thanks,
Nelle
2012-04-30 07:49:03 UTC
https://github.com/scikit-learn/administrative/blob/master/software_freedom_conservancy/application.txt
It looks good to me. Thanks to all people who contributed to it.
Quick reminder: the deadline is today at at 23:59 UTC.
Thanks for the reminder.
Also, Gaël will not be there to submit the proposal. Who will be doing it ?
Olivier ? Mathieu ?
I can do it later today if nobody has any objection.
2012-04-25 13:09:44 UTC
[1]https://hackpad.com/dsPTA6XYF2e
i thought it might be a good way to answer the questions. if you think
otherwise, i'll simply delete the pad.
I much prefer git/github. For one, I never have a problem with instable
Internet connections and working in the train.

I guess that some people never have such issues, as I see a clear success
of web interfaces, but each time I have to use Google docs, I go nuts
because when the connection lags, I cannot do any edits.

I think that everybody concerned knows how to use git, so I think that it
should be possible to stick with those tools.

Gael
Satrajit Ghosh
2012-04-25 13:24:40 UTC
hi gael,

Post by Gael Varoquaux
Internet connections and working in the train.
in this case, i don't care much, so it's completely your call. (i live life
assuming a persistent connection!).

Post by Gael Varoquaux
should be possible to stick with those tools.
that's fine with me. i'll put a note on top linking to the github repo in
case people are misled.

sorry to have introduced noise.

cheers,

satra

ps. in general, for simple things like this with possibly rapid editing of
concurrent sections, i feel that a quickly editable workflow does a job
much better than git/github as it supports instantaneous review. and unlike
google docs, hackpad actually notes individual commits/changes.